September Fact Sheet: Be Informed
Make sure everyone in your household can receive, understand, and act on information received in an emergency.
Things to do
Below is a list of thing that you can do to achieve your goal this month. Choose at least one, and complete it.
Getting correct information during an emergency is the key to taking safe action. Someone in your household may not be able to receive, understand, or act on emergency information. Think about what special needs your household may have. Take action now to make sure everyone in your family will be safe in an emergency.
Things to consider…
- Emergency news or weather broadcasts may not be closed captioned.
- Information that is shown on screen may not be spoken aloud.
- Automated voices and voices over loud speakers may be hard to understand.
- Information comes quickly and the stress of a disaster may make it hard to understand or remember instructions.
- Words moving across the bottom of a television screen may move very quickly.
- The screen color or color of the text might make some information on television hard to read.
Sign up today to track your progress and receive monthly reminder emails